MNT Reform Camera
Important: Shipping Date
(Updated 2022-10-03) The item is not in stock, but in production. If you pre-order now, you have to expect shipment in Dec 2022. Thank you for your patience and support.
This is the open hardware camera add-on for the MNT Reform open hardware laptop. The goal is to provide an open and hackable solution for HD video telephony. The camera can also be used with any other USB capable computer—it has a Type-C connector with USB 3.0 and 2.0 signals.
Please note that the photos show a 3D printed enclosure sample, while the production enclosure will be made from CNC milled, bead blasted, black anodized aluminum. The product photos will be updated in November 2022.
The modular enclosure with clip-on grip allows the camera to rotate/tilt in 2 axes. The U-shaped tilting mount has a UNC 1/4 inch thread, making it compatible with standard camera mounting equipment such as tripods.
As a standard USB Video Class Device, the MNT Reform Camera works with any operating system such as Linux, macOS and Windows.
- Up to 2592x1944 resolution (5 MP) with USB 3.0
- Image sensor: Omnivision OV5640 (modular, on 24-pin FPC connector)
- USB Video Class Device (no special drivers necessary)
- Lens: 120 degree wide angle fixed focus, S-Mount (M12)
- Activity LED
- Connector: USB-C receptable with automatic plug reversing
- MIPI-CSI to USB 3.0 bridge: Infineon/Cypress EZ-USB CX3
- 4Mb SPI Flash for firmware (open source)
- Internal JTAG and UART debug connectors
- Firmware source/SDK available at Infineon after registration
The electronics were designed by F. Schneider in KiCAD. The enclosure and mount were designed by Greta Melnik using FreeCAD. The designs are open hardware under CERN OHL-S 2.0.This project was made possible through funding by NLNet.